While Williams does not have strict sustainability principles for transportation, the Zilkha Center has outlined some broad goals for the College to strive towards. The College tracks the amount of energy it uses in campus buildings, but there are many kinds of transportation, such as faculty air travel and student driving, that are not closely tracked. Determining the environmental impact of these activities, and how to work on reducing those impacts has proved challenging and may remain so.
- Encourage students to utilize sustainable transportation options
- Promote alternative ways of transportation besides privately-owned vehicles
- Provide students, faculty, and staff with college-owned vehicles to share
- Reward owners of high-efficiency vehicles with parking spaces
- Research methods for students to travel efficiently and smoothly
- Curate, publish, and make tips for sustainable transportation accessible