As you prepare to leave your dorm for an extended break take a couple of minutes to reduce your impact with a few simple steps:
- Donate things you no longer need. Clean and gently used clothing can be donated to benefit ABC Greylock in the built-in containers at the back of Paresky (near the Park Street entrance).
- Help wayward dishes make it back to the dining halls. You’ve seen the Dish Return Bins around campus all semester and you’ve probably heard the slogan Bring it Back! Please help the custodial teams and dining services by collecting rogue dishes and depositing them in one of the many Dish Return Bins around campus. No sharp knives should be placed in the bins.
- Empty your trash and recycling. Emptying your personal bins in your building’s trash room will help out your custodians. Make sure to recycle whenever possible: check out this guide to recycling paper, electronics, batteries, packing materials, and more. Even pizza boxes are now accepted by our recycler!
- Unplug devices and appliances in your room and common room. Even if they’re turned off, your electronics still use energy while plugged in. Make sure to unplug your computer, printer, copier, lamps, etc. If you use a power strip, remember to turn it off. (If you don’t use a power strip, check out this student blogpost about how they can reduce your energy use.)
- Turn off lights. Remember to turn off the lights in your office and any common spaces
- Close your windows and curtains/shades. Closing the shades adds an extra layer of insulation, especially as it gets colder!
- If you have a mini fridge, unplug and empty it. After unplugging your mini fridge, make sure to eat, compost, or dispose of any leftover food. You’ll thank yourself later if you also clean the fridge!
Also take a few minutes to treat yourself to the following video (made by Jamal Meneide ’19) about Bring it Back!